My children and I made a homemade playdough kit that gets a lot of use. Here's what we put in our kit to help give you some ideas for your own kit.
Everything goes into a large plastic or tupperware container that's big enough to hold the following:
1. 1 or more rolling pins
2. 4 or 5 balls of different homemade playdough(each ball kept in a separate ziplock sandwich bag)
3. Toothpicks, straws, popsicle sticks
4. Plastic toy knives
5. Cookie cutters
6. Garlic press
7. Old Combs
8. Old toothbrushes
9. Melon baller
10. Potato Masher
A variety of children's playdough tools can also be purchased at most toy stores where playdough is sold, and added to your playdough kit.
Some Other Playdough Thoughts and Ideas
1. Sparkles (glitter) can be added to playdough for a special effect. Be careful not to get in eyes.
2. Go on a nature walk with your children, collect some items such as pinecones, rocks, twigs, wild flowers, etc. Flatten some playdough on a paper plate and create a playdough garden with the items collected. I use playdough that is getting old and starting to dry out for this craft idea.
3. Draw a large picture of a butterfly on an 8 inch by 11 inch blank piece of paper. Laminate the paper and then decorate the butterfly with different colors and designs of playdough.
4. A Christmas playdough idea: Add a holiday scent to your playdough by adding 1 or 2 teaspoons of peppermint extract to your unscented playdough recipe. Make two batches of dough; one with red food coloring and one with no food coloring(just plain dough colored). Make playdough candy canes by twisting red and white "snakes" together.
Inexpensive Kits You Can Buy:
What kids crafts can I help you find today?
Click here to make your own web site...simple & fast
Want some more ideas for fun crafts for preschool kids? Sign up for my free monthly ezine Preschool Sparks:
Creative Playdough Ideas for Kids is a 32 page e-book that is downloadable in PDF format, and provides simple, step by step instructions for a variety of creations with full color photos throughout. Playdough creations include cat, turtle, lion, snail, pig, snowman, snake, two rose methods, daisy, daffodil, ladybug, faces, cup and saucer, a heart of flowers, fruit and butterfly.
Whether you are a Pre-School Teacher, Day Home provider or a busy Mom with little kids trying to find some inside activities on a cold/rainy day, here is a great resource for many more craft ideas for little kids. It is jam packed (200pages) full of great age-appropriate crafts. As a thank you for buying the book Chris Yates (the author) gives you the second book free. You can download this ebook or get the printed version.It's called Little Kid Crafts For All Seasons
ABC Fun & 1-2-3
ABC Fun & 1-2-3 is a preschool programme that gives you alphabet-based activities each week, alphabet crafts, alphabetized nursery rhymes, number and counting activities, as well as a list of recommended, quality children's stories to read aloud together as you and your children adventure through the alphabet, one letter per week. All the hard work and planning is done for you - for less than $1 per week, you just open up the book and start the A-B-C fun!